Building my Lantian 105 micro brushed quad … by David HK October 2016

Building my Lantian 105 micro brushed quad … by David HK October 2016

I lost my Eachine Tiny QX80 about a month ago - don’t ask! :( , but I have always want to port the components into a larger frame, I think it will give more space for the 4 props to exercise their spins so should be more agile, will see.  Now I have the perfect excuse to buy all components from scratch :)

Frame: Lantian 105


FC: Eachine Micro F3

I bought the Eachine micro F3 from banggood, the blue one, 4 motors and 1S only, which runs SPRACING F3 firmware, not SPRACING F3EVO, which is the black one by happy-model (come with QX80/QX90, up-to 6 motors and 2S).  I bought this blue F3 FC after I watched the “Finally a brushed fc that works” video from ADAMBOMB FPV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fUkHI9NvRc
(post flying comments: this blue F3 board really does fly better than my old QX80, more punch, and flies longer using the same batteries.  also, with the QX80, sometime after 2-2.5 mins the quad seems running out of power and starts dropping, however, with this blue F3 board, the same power output continue until the quad drops)

RX: Tiny Frsky 8CH Receiver Compatible

cam&vtx: Eachine EF-01

I bought this during the banggood crazy 48hrs sale, was a spare for my QX80… 

Motors: I have some spare 820 and 720 motors, will be interesting to see if 720 is capable for this micro.  The 720 was the spare from JJ1000.


Preparation:
First I sanded the frame edge to make it less sharp but smooth to touch, and paint the front half in yellow using oil based pen.   Thinking will assist LOS flying with one half in colour.


For the cam, I took out the metal shell to reduce weight, as for this kind of brushed micro, every gram counts and will impact the performance noticeably.

For the FC, it comes with betaflight 2.9 on SPRACING F3 firmware, but I mistakenly thought it was on the F3 EVO firmware as everyone was talking about this firmware in internet, so I mistakenly flashed it to SPRACING F3 EVO! The FC went dead, no status light, unable to connect to BF.  After some searching, and relooked my original betaflight dump file, silly me, it is clearly stated the firmware is SPRACING F3, not the EVO.  So I need to short the bootloader pins (which I did not need to in the 1st flashing above), and flashed it with the correct F3 firmware.  Btw, I needed around 20 attempts and almost gave up and wanted to return to banggood, then as by magic, finally see the “flashing….” on the screen, yeah! Very happy!

At the time of writing this blog, I am still waiting the RX from banggood! Been waiting for 3 weeks now.  Will flash it with midelic DIY Frsky firmware, and try to get both RSSI and voltage telemetry to my 9XR PRO with DJT module.

Note that this blue FC board comes with a regulated 5V power out, so should be better than connect directly to the battery vcc+.  Will have to see if this 5V out able to sustain during punch out.
For the cam wire, I added a 1s connector, as I want to have the option of unplug the cam+vtx when fly LOS. 



I added a buzzer to the FC, very small, 9mmx4.2mm, weight 1g.


Now it is all wired-up except for the RX, total weight around 40g without RX and battery.  The RX should be 2.5g without pins.



A week later, I received my Tiny Frsky compatible RX from banggood,


1st soldered it to the FC and tested binding and flying, all without issues.

Then I flashed it with medelic DIY Frsky firmware, able to get the RSSI telemetry to my 9XR PRO, but still unable to get the voltage telemetry though.  See below link for details of my flashing the RX.
http://davidhkblog1.blogspot.com/2016/10/flashing-tiny-frsky-8ch-receiver-from.html


below is the PPM wiring from the RX at the bottom, and I peered off some hot glue from the antenna connection pins just to see which is the antenna pin (the far left pin) in case i need to replace the antenna in the future. The single white wire at the top middle is the RXD pin, and connected to the FC's TX pin, was hoping to get voltage telemetry, but not successful.  i also tried to connect the FC bat vcc+ to the RX's A1 pin, also not successful, i only got 0.0x or 0.x voltage in my 9XR Pro radio.  so give up, will use my radio timer to land, or when the quad is losing power or the fpv signal dropped! :)



I further added some heat shrink at the end of the motors for protection of the motor and motor wire, and also as a soft landing gear, proof very successful enhancement.




although i've added a buzzer, but i found after dropping onto grasses, this little quad is very difficult to find, and in case the buzzer not working (i have 3 buzzers lost sound in my bigger quad), so I added a 3v LED light to the battery connection, this LED continues flashing from fast to slow to fast, and changing colour all the time :) 0.4g, i think it is worth the investment as a warning sign for on lookers, and additional lost finder protection.


I also added a zip tie loop to protect the vtx antenna, so at the end, my Lantian 105 comes at 44.4g without battery, now time to go flying!



Flying experience

Comparing to my old QX80, this 105 flies much better, more punch and quicker, and also can keep the same power longer in the air, whereas with my old QX80, after 2.5 mins it seems to straggle to keep in the air and i have to use full throttle just to keep it hovering. whereas this 105 just keeps going until the last drop of Amp is used.  i normally land it after 3.5 minutes.


Betaflight 3.0 PIDs diff
(note that the blue FC uses SPRACINGF3 firmware, not the F3EVO)

# diff

# version
# BetaFlight/SPRACINGF3 3.0.0 Sep 11 2016 / 00:42:59 (a21694b)

# name
name LT105

# mixer

# servo

# servo mix

# feature
feature -BLACKBOX
feature MOTOR_STOP
feature TELEMETRY

# beeper
beeper -BAT_CRIT_LOW
beeper -BAT_LOW

# map

# serial
serial 2 4 115200 57600 0 115200

# led

# color

# mode_color

# aux
aux 0 27 0 900 1300
aux 1 1 0 1700 2100
aux 2 2 0 1300 1700
aux 3 12 1 1700 2100

# adjrange

# rxrange

# rxfail

# master
set motor_pwm_protocol = BRUSHED
set motor_pwm_rate = 4000
set vbat_min_cell_voltage = 30
set vbat_warning_cell_voltage = 32
set gyro_sync_denom = 2
set deadband = 3
set yaw_deadband = 3
set pid_process_denom = 1

# profile
profile 0

set p_pitch = 50
set i_pitch = 40
set d_pitch = 18
set d_roll = 18
set p_yaw = 80
rateprofile 0

# rateprofile
rateprofile 0

set rc_rate = 90
set rc_rate_yaw = 90
set roll_srate = 60
set pitch_srate = 60

set yaw_srate = 60

------------ end ----------

Comments